Compact, precise and literal writing is desirable in most disciplines, but is essential in technical fields. Wordy, imprecise and metaphoric text dilutes and confuses the reader of a technical document. In this exercise we will work on improving our skills.
- Tips for Compact Writing: How to write clear sentence , Mignon Fogarty
- Technical Writing Overview: Overview , David A. McMurrey.
- A Template for Writing an Original Technical Report: Primary Research Report , David A. McMurrey.
- Writing Tips: Three Sins of Authors in Computer Science and Math , Jonathan Shewchuk.
- Identify three elements of your Preliminary State-of-the-field paper that are out of sync with the suggestion in the above three links.
- Revise your text for better alignment.
- Turn in both the original and revised text next class period.